What's the 411 @ 291?

The Lafayette Drop

What's the 411 @ 291?

The Lafayette Drop

What's the 411 @ 291?

The Lafayette Drop

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Lenny Gomez: Leading with Humility at PASE

PASE’s Senior President Reflects on Growth, Challenges, and Shaping a More Inclusive Future
Lenny Gomez on the drums

In today’s Senior Spotlight, we focus on Lenny Gomez, a 17-year-old senior at the Passaic Academy for Science and Engineering (PASE), who has gracefully taken on the mantle of the schoolwide president while continuing his journey as a student. His story is not just about leadership but also about personal growth, future aspirations, and a commitment to making a difference in the student community.

Lenny Gomez, with a modest chuckle, answers when asked about his presidency, “Allegedly…Well uh you know sometimes this whole experience of being the president feels like a blur and feels unreal.” This response, brimming with humility, sets the tone for our conversation. Gomez doesn’t view his role through the lens of power but rather as a position of responsibility. He says, “I never saw it as a position of power, to be honest…I more so see it as just a position.”

Leadership, for Gomez, is a work in progress. He candidly admits, “I have the potential to be a good leader. I wouldn’t say I’m there yet and I think I still have a lot of work to do.” He reflects on the challenges he faces, particularly in communication and making others understand his vision.

Sutanna Felder
Lenny Gomez shakes hands with the legendary Mr. Apollo at the Apollo Theater.

Since his reelection, Gomez has initiated significant changes in the student council, making it more accessible and known within the school community. “I think since being reelected as SGA president what I’ve done is I’ve made the student council a lot more accessible,” he notes, highlighting his focus on increasing student engagement and participation.

However, balancing the demanding roles of a school president and a senior student is not without its challenges. Gomez discusses the struggle of managing his responsibilities while preparing for his future, especially with college applications on the horizon. He shares insights into his changing career aspirations, evolving from a focus on computer science to a newfound interest in information systems – a blend of technology and people skills that he discovered thanks to his time at PASE.

Looking ahead, Gomez is enthusiastic about various fundraising activities planned for the year, including popular food sales and community events. His approach is inclusive, emphasizing the importance of student involvement and participation in school activities.

As our conversation draws to a close, Gomez reflects on his tenure and the legacy he hopes to leave behind. His leadership journey at PASE is a narrative of self-discovery, resilience, and a steadfast commitment to serving and improving the student experience. He leaves a final note of encouragement, inviting students to engage more actively with the Student Government Association, a testament to his belief in inclusive and accessible leadership.

Lenny Gomez’s tenure as the schoolwide president of PASE is a story of a young leader navigating the complexities of high school life while laying down a path for future growth. His experiences, insights, and initiatives not only shape his future but also leave an enduring impact on the school, inspiring a new generation of students to step up and make a difference.

View Comments (2)